About Me

My photo
Elk River, MN, United States
I have been running for about 20 years and have completed more than 60 marathons (including one in each state) and ultramarathons. In 2011, I ran across MN to raise money for cancer. Now, in 2021, at age 52, I'm going to run and bike across MN to raise money for disabled veterans.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lessons Learned

Fundraising Total: $3294.61 of $5000 (66%)

I'll do at least one more update after Jones Soda's Free Soda Friday promotion.  All their proceeds (2nd sodas are $0.50, and people can make additional donations to the cause of the week) for this Friday are going toward the Run X MN-American Cancer Society.  Thanks again, Jones!

What Did I Learn:
1.  Fundraising is humbling!
2. Everyone has a cancer story.  Some are heartbreaking, some are heartwarming.
3. More people are awesome than are not.
4. Publicity is about persistance.

5. I don't know how to train for 22 miles a day for nine days, but what I did worked out.
6. Never did figure out what to eat to both recover from one day and prep for the next.
7. The journey is more important than the destination.
8. I have more supportive people in my life than I realized and I am more greatful than ever.

9. It doesn't matter how many songs you have on your MP3 player after 5 days.  If it's on shuffle, you'll hear at least one song repeated each day.
10.  I don't want to run across the country, at least not alone.  I do want to run in scenic destinations and travel.
11.  Be nice to the support crew!  Let them drive their own car.
12.  You don't need more than one car.
13.  Running across the state didn't save gas-I think the vehicles drove across the state AT LEAST twice...
14.  Day after day of mileage increase need for sleep exponentially.
15.  There's nothing better than icing the muscles to reduce the soreness.
16.  Relentless Forward Momentum will get you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment